Friday, March 5, 2010

From Liz: Ode to Carbs, Sexism and My Inner Left Knee.

As a personal side-note/vow to self (but hold me accountable, please): I have to get the carb-fest under control. Because seriously, if you are what you eat, then I'm a piece of toast with a side of pasta.

In regards to the gender politics issue. Depending on your build/physiological inclination, you are either stronger or more flexible. And you reminded me that not all women are flexible. In fact, to generalize in that way is my own bit of sexism. Thinking that I'm struggling with jump-backs because I am female does me, and my sex, an injustice. Simply stated, I've seen it done. I've known plenty of women who can jump back and through comfortably, though most have had to work at it. It is an achievable feat, so I'll simply stop making excuses and keep up the work.

At the organizational level, I still don't know where the power lies. There are many female studio owners. But I have this creeping feeling that somewhere up the line, there is a man holding the money. Meh... Maybe that's just a bit of paranoia, or again, self-hatred cloaked in self-doubt.

In other news: I'm nursing some knee tenderness these days. MCL tenderness, to be precise. It could be (and I'm just guessing here) that years of running, followed by gaining and losing 45 lbs during and after my pregnancy, and then running some more, may just just have put a liiiiiiiittle pressure on my joints. Just a bit, mind you.

So yeah.... This may be the motivation I need to cut back on the cardio and focus on my yoga. Which brings me back to my opener: I guess I'm going to have to watch my mouth. Consider the humble vegetable, dear woman. And yeah, it is funny that in the same post where I'm complaining about sexism, I'm also talking about dieting. That sneaky complicity. Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment